24. 01/10/2019 - I received a club game today (Pray vs. Mancuso) that was not in proper format. Please review Sample Emails and be sure to format your games properly, to save me the effort to process your games into our Club database.
The email should have looked like this:
1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nc3 d6 4.Bb5+ Nc6 5.O-O a6 6.Bc4 Be6 7.b3 d5 8.Nxd5 Nxd5 9.exd5 Bxd5 10.Bxd5 Qxd5
11.d4 O-O-O 12.Nd2 Qxd4 13.Ba3 e5 14.Rb1 Qxd2 15.Qxd2 Rxd2 16.Rfd1 Rd6 17.Bxc5 Rxd1+ 18.Rxd1 Bxc5
19.g3 Rd8 20.Re1 f6 21.g4 Nd4 22.g5 Nf3+ 23.Kf1 Nxe1 24.Kxe1 Bb4+ 25.Kf1 f5 26.g6 f4 27.gxh7 f3
28.h8=Q Rxh8 29.a4 Rd8 30.a5 Rd1# 0-1
23. CONRAD/TASBY CT TACTICS CONTEST 12-22-2018 to 01/26/2019
Entry and Participation Requirements:
1. Obtain ChessTempo ACTIVE Tactics Status by 10:00 PM on 12/22/2018, and email firstname.lastname@example.org that you are a contest participant (To make sure that I have not overlooked you, it is your responsibility to let me know that you are participating!).
2. Maintain Active Status by working least 14 problems each week for five weeks. The contest will run from 12/22/2018 to 01/26/2019 at 10 PM
Your status and performance will be audited and evaluated each Saturday at 10 PM.
The following prizes ($80 total) will be awarded:
1. Greatest minimum weekly rating improvement. $20
2. Greatest overall rating improvement. $20
3. Highest rating at end of contest. $20
4. Lottery draw for maintaining contest eligibility. $20
Nobody will be eligible for multiple awards.
If fewer than four participants are eligible, awards will be distributed as follows: 3 participants ($27, $27, 27);
2 participants ($40, $40); 1 participant ($80).
Recap: Contestants must maintain continuous active status throughout the contest and must do at least 14 problems every week for five weeks.
Contest results will be posted here at 10 PM on January 26, 2019.
22. The following members have been awarded Gold Class Premium memberships at ChessTempo.com. These individuals have maintained active status for Standard Tactics problems at a rating exceeding 1000. If I have overlooked any other member who is eligible for this award, please let me know at email@example.com:
20. Near-term goals:
1. Attain Active Status re. ChessTempo Tactics Problems and report your current rating.
2. Learn to use cell phones to validate and send games to firstname.lastname@example.org
19. Congratulations on the performances of Conrad and Tasby at the Bilhartz Tournament on November 10, 2018, the final tournament of the calendar year. In our division (Grades 6-12) there were 13 schools and 72 individual partipants.
Five of our players won top-ten individual prizes: Mohammad(Conrad)-1st place, Rodrigo(Tasby)-5th place, Aung(Conrad)-7th place, Seng(Conrad)-8th place, Autoe(Tasby)-10th place. Townview TAG players won the other five top-10 prizes.
Townview TAG won the first place team trophy. Conrad won the second place trophy, and Tasby won the third place trophy.
18. Regarding the new ChessTempo Openings Training tool at:
I have uploaded a Black Repertoire file into the ChessTempo accounts of our coaches and most active students who have participated in chess club as early as last year. This allows them to practice about 20 common chess openings. Any students who also want to be able to work these exercises should send an email to email@example.com, along with your name and ChessTempo username, and I will add this feature to your ChessTempo account. Please note that you will need to Click the Black Repertoire called 'Black 0928' (or similar), and then click the blue circle icon with three horizontal bars to the right side of TRAIN BRANCH. Then click on Settings, and set the maximum training depth. I suggest starting with a training depth of three moves; otherwise you might feel overwhelmed at trying to learn all of the openings to a depth of 10. The setting then does not have to be reset until you decide to change it.
Note that there are multiple viable responses for some of White's initial move, but the program seeks a particular response each time you hit 'TRAIN'. For example, in response to 1.e4,: 1...e5, 1...e6, 1...d5, 1...d6, 1...c5, and 1...c6 are all appropriate. But if you don't guess the 'correct' choice you will be prompted to try again to select the particular one that is being sought. If you don't know an appropriate response it will tell you the correct answer so you can proceed (and hopefully learn the right response). Let me know if you have additional questions or problems.
After you master all of the openings to a depth of 3, you can increase it gradually. Let me know if you have additional questions.
16. A new web link presents checkmate games for various openings to help you with your openings as well as midgames and endgames: For example: Click here.
You can access all of the checkmate games at: Click here. 15. I found a free Android app called Chess Coordinates. It shows a chessboard and indicates the square that you should touch, e.g., e4 or h7. Each time you touch a correct square, it gives you another challenge. Then after 30 seconds it shows you how many you identified, e.g. 11/3 means eleven right and three wrong. If you have an Android phone load the free app and see if you can beat my current record of 14/0. It's a pretty good app that should help us improve the Algebraic Notation skills that we will be working on extensively this year.
12. Stories about the Parkland Florida Tragedy - February 14, 2018
Wear your protest bracelets until our Local, State, and Federal Governments take appropriate action to address our continuing crisis: Frequent School Massacres and American Gun Violence.
11. DISD has not approved or attempted to initiate our proposed fund raiser campaign for the victims of the Sable Ridge apartment fire, so I have another idea. I am now wearing my Sable Ridge bracelet in support of more than three thousand students who were assaulted in Parkland, Florida on Valentine's Day. Seventeen students and teachers were killed. Students and friends across the country are making various efforts to support the Parkland students. This incident could easily have happened instead at Conrad or Tasby, or at any other school in Texas. Many Conrad/Tasby/Hotchkiss/Lowe students are now wearing their Sable Ridge bracelets to take a stand that OUR LIVES MATTER MORE THAN NRA BRIBES TO CONGRESS AND OUR PRESIDENT. Get a free bracelet if you want to join the protest against all gun violence in our schools and neighborhoods.
10. I pledge to protest against our president and all members of congress who are unwilling to do anything about gun control. Those politicians love their million-dollar bribes from the NRA. I intend to wear my bracelet until congress and our president proceed with effective gun control. I will do my best to vote against any candidate who takes NRA blood money. I will continue to protest against their shameful inaction as long as I am able to do so.
9. A farmer has a fox, a chicken, and a bag of corn that he wants to move to the other side of the river, using his small rowboat. If he leaves the fox and chicken together unsupervised, the fox will eat the chicken. But if he leaves the chicken and the corn together unsupervised, the chicken will eat the corn. His dilemma is that his boat is too small to carry more than one item (fox, chicken, or corn) on each trip across the river.
How many trips does it take for the farmer to get the fox, the chicken, and the corn intact to the other side of the river? There is only one correct answer. No, Aung, the chicken cannot fly across the river. (This is a lot like a ChessTempo problem, isn't it?)
8. Start the day with a smile, and get it over with. W. C. Fields
7. Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
6. There are three types of people in the world: those who can count and those who cannot.
5. I have adopted a policy to refrain from making on-line chess moves against Club opponents between 11PM and 7AM, so that I do not take advantage by running opponents' clocks overnight.
4. A prime number is an integer greater than 1 that cannot be formed by multiplying two smaller integers. : e.g., 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17.... As of January 2018, the largest known prime number has 23,249,425 digits. Around 300 BC, Euclid proved that infinitely many prime numbers exist, so no number can be the largest prime number. As of October 2017, the largest known prime gap is 1510. It occurs between the prime numbers 6,787,988,999,657,777,797 and 6,787,988,999,657,779,307 (~7 quintillion). How many 2-digit prime numbers are there? First, make a guess, and then write them all down and count them. It should only take a few minutes to do so: 11, 13, 17, 19, ...., 97.
2. UT Dallas is a nearby university with an excellent chess program. Please spend a few minutes watching the following video.
1. Continue to work diligently on CT Standard Tactics problems, and let Coach Jerry know when you reach active status with a rating of 1100 or higher, so that he can promote you to Senior Member and upgrade your ChessTempo membership status to Gold. Improve your chess skills by playing online against several club members at all times. Disciplined practice will greatly improve our chances to obtain Individual and Club tournament trophies during the spring semester. Please take advantage of this opportunity.